Traditions of the heart involving chocolate and strawberries are hard to resist! We suggest you sweeten up Valentine’s Day this year with a decadent dessert and cocktail pairing from the BTV culinary team. Chef Memo Vaca, director of Dining Services, shares everything you need to whip up this divine, double-the-chocolate duo from home.
A sweetheart of a Valentine’s Day pairing from our own Chef Memo Vaca
Recipes by Henry Leachman
Chocolate Fudge Lava Cakes
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
6 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
2 Egg Yolks
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Pinch Salt
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter and flour two ramekins or oven-safe coffee mugs.
• Melt the butter with the chocolate on low heat in a double boiler or in the microwave. Whisk until smooth.
• Beat the eggs with the egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and salt until thickened and pale. A blender works best.
• Fold the chocolate mixture and flour into the egg mixture. Pour batter into ramekin or cup and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on your oven.
• Serve in baking vessel or let cakes cool for a minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold. Sift powdered sugar on top and garnish with berries if desired. Serve immediately.
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Martini
4 Ounces Grey Goose® Vodka
2 Ounces Strawberry Simple Syrup*
1 Ounce Lemon Juice
2 Tsp Pink House Alchemy Tonic
• Dip rim of martini glass in melted chocolate and chill. Combine drink ingredients and stir gently with ice. Strain into glass and enjoy.
*Instructions for Strawberry Simple Syrup:
• In a blender, puree four strawberries, 6 ounces of sugar and 8 ounces of water.
• Bring mixture to boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Strain seeds and pulp; cool syrup before use.